"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Why I love what I do

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Why I love what I do

The other day I bumped into a darling client of mine who I have not seen for a while.  After catching up a bit, I asked for a progress report on the rooms we had discussed during my last consult.  Not only did I get the whole scoop, but she kindly shot some photos so that I could see how things were coming along until I visit in person to see it all for myself.  I was so excited to see the transformation that I just had to share it.

My initial consultation with this client was shortly after they had moved into their home and were in the process of some remodeling.  My role was to help with the details such as paint, window treatments and making what they already owned work better.  Over the next several months the rooms have gone from this:

To this:
Hard to tell from the photo, but they painted a soft golden wall color, which really warms the place up and works well with the original oak trim of this Craftsman style home. 

One of the things the clients struggled with was further delineating the long run between the living and dining areas.  I love the solution, columns purchased at a local antique store placed on top of the existing built-in bookcases!  They look like they are original to the house. 
A change of lighting, installed with a ceiling medallion, a new buffet and a re-make of existing window panels really bring this dining room a long way.  While honoring the Craftsman style of the room, these elements add warmth and individuality to the space.



Check out these panels.... each window started with 4 store bought linen panels.  I suggested giving them a custom look by sewing together 2 panels for each side of the window, adding a nice fabric and trim for interest and hanging them closer to the ceiling.  Great taste, a seamstress sister in law, a handy husband and look how they turned out!



Months of searching for the perfect storage piece in the DR turned up this one from Ballard Designs.  Unfortunately, once received, they just didn't love it.  So back to the drawing board... 


  and off to the local unfinished furniture store, Finish It!. Check out the replacement:


Isn't this amazing?  The finish is gorgeous and just what the room needed, a jolt of color.  Final touches of a mirror or artwork over the buffet, lamps and a pair of upholstered host & hostess chairs at the table and this room has arrived!  

I LOVE IT when I can share my ideas, inspirations and expertise and my clients can take it all, interpret it and often, execute it them selves.  I find that the process of design is, at it's best, a collaboration, a back and forth between two parties, not only a building of a room or design, but of a relationship.  The feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that goes along with a room finished this way is so rewarding, for both parties.... that's why I LOVE what I do!

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me,
I would love to help!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...