"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Clever: Blueprints as Art

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Clever: Blueprints as Art

Our home in Chicago was built in the early 1940"s and came with the original set of blueprints (the kind that were actually blue).  Since the house had been altered a few times over the years, it was nice to be able to understand what it looked like when it was originally conceived and built.  Blueprints, even the modern day kind, have always intrigued me and because they record someone's creative expression and work, they are like art to me.  You can imagine how inspired I was to find a vintage set of blue prints used as art when I stumbled on this room.... 

The bold blue lends itself perfectly to white furnishings and the graphic quality of the blueprints are a nice change from the overly popular use of maps.  Inspired, I took a tour of the internet and found a few blueprints ready to purchase and either frame or hang wallpaper style. Etsy, eBay and Old Blueprints are great resources on line, but I imagine your local vintage store or a flea market would also be great spots for finding vintage blueprints



Imagine the possibilities of designing or finishing a room around any of these fabulous images... or for that matter, using them in other creative ways, think decoupage,  lampshades, window treatments and the like!  How fabulous would any of these look in the natural & navy room I featured yesterday?

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design
If so please contact me, I would love to help your room feel better with a Room Rx!

4 comments:

Kathysue said...

I agree blueprints or any architectural prints have always fascinated me also. These would make a great piece of art in a room, Kathysue

Jenn said...

Love this ... especially as wall paper in the first photo. I wish we had the blueprints to our house. Those would be such a great addition!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

The blue in blueprints is such a beautiful color :)

SHERRY HART said...

Cathy...I saw a whole "gob" of those the other day at a flea market and now I wish I had gotten them. Sometimes I just can't think when I am somewhere and there are SO many cool things!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...