As decorators, designers and DIY aficionados, we tend to focus most of our attention and energy on interiors and living spaces, but let's face it, we all know the weight of first impressions.
Over the past year I have chronicled my decorating adventures with
my CSIL and her new, smaller home. Today you get to share in the fun and plans for the exterior beautification project.
Here is what we are working with, cute, but definitely in need of a little loving.
Where to begin?
This is the plan.....
1) The easiest and most obvious change would be a fresh paint job, which is on the books, so more on that later.
2) The driveway, sidewalk and paver area look sad and don't function well for the needs of my CSIL and her family. This is a big, necessary and expensive project but will add to the appearance of a well cared for and loved home.
3) Architectural details: the front door bump out and scalloped trim board will be going. Again, with function in mind, the front door will be covered with a small, bracketed roof the lines of these...
The garage door is being replaced and a small arbor, similar to this, will crown the top.
The front windows will get shutters and the scalloped trim board will be removed. The storm door is already gone and we are trying to figure out what will replace it.
4) Lighting - a new lantern will hang from the peak of the bracketed roof over the door.
5) Landscaping - the wimpy, half dead shrubbery is already gone and plans are in the works for plantings that will complement the updated exterior. There will definitely be some yummy containers on the stoop and maybe even a couple of window boxes, but one thing at a time!
A few of things on the list of improvements are done....
Like the shrubbery removal and the concrete.
The storm door and scalloped trim are gone
and work is progressing on the bracketed roof, which looks amazing and transforms the appearance of this little Cape Cod home.
Therese did a wonderful job choosing the brackets, they are beefy and beautiful, purchased from
Pro Wood Market.
As you can see, things are really coming together!
And you can be sure I'll share more as the work continues.
In the meantime if you are ever curious about my previous decorating adventures with my CSIL you can go here and here to catch up. You can also follow along on our CSIL pinterest board.
What improvements have you made to increase your curb appeal and enhance your home's exterior?
Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? I would love to work with you to help your room "feel better."
Contact me for more information about my design services.