"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: DIY: Stainless Steel Appliances

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

DIY: Stainless Steel Appliances



Yesterday's post on kitchens with  dark wood generated a few comments and one really great question from a reader: 

Hi Cathy, 

I am one of your CSIL's good friends from her neighborhood.  I hear about your amazing work from her and FOR her all the time.
I am perusing your very smart and excellent website and a question popped up for my kitchen.  I don't know if you have expertise in this area but, can you buy just a door for a refrigerator?  I have a nearly brand new white Kenmore and really want to switch all the appliances to stainless now that the granite counter tops are in.  I know for my style of fridge, usually what is made is a black body with a stainless door anyway, so mixing up the surface colors doesn't seem a big deal to me.

Thanks for your help,
 
Karin

I love that my CSIL's friends are scoping out my little corner of the blog world and that they have the confidence in my thoughts and opinions to ask me such questions.  So, being rather curious myself as to the answer, I got my {Google} engine started and did a little search and lo and behold, did I come up with some interesting solutions! 

Knowing that many dishwashers and refrigerators have panels on them, I searched for stainless steel panels and found several options from  Appliance Art.  They carry both real stainless pieces for dishwashers and refrigerators, as well as a film that looks like stainless and is applied over the existing surface.  Appliance Art even has a magnetic version of the film, so that you can display your kid's masterpieces or their many party invitations! At $54.95 for a 38" x 80" roll, that is a lot less expensive than buying a new fridge.

 

Next was a search for stainless steel color paint and that turned up this product, 
Thomas's Liquid Stainless Steel. It looks like an amazing product and it actually has stainless steel in the paint formula. I've included these very tiny before and after photos and if you check out the website you can actually look at some "slightly larger tiny photos!"


Again, for $54.95 for the kit to do a fridge, and $19.95 for the dishwasher, this is a screaming deal, especially if you have a perfectly functioning appliance and are willing to invest a little time and effort.  The Thomas' site also has some wonderful testimonials.

So there you go Karin,  if it were me, I'd give it a try!  What about the rest of you,  would you go this route?  Have you tried either of these products and had success?  I'd love to hear...


Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me,
I would love to help!

4 comments:

Evie said...

This is genius! Just found your lovely blog, happy to now be following!

René said...

Ha! I had no idea you could do this. Could save a ton of money for those who want the look, but not the price.

-Rene

Maria Killam said...

Hey that looks like a great idea, I don't know if you've tried the liquid stainless steel though, Lauren from Pure Style Home did it to her stove and it looked so fake and bad she had to scrape it all off.
Thanks for this post!
Maria

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up Maria!
I am including the link to Lauren's post about her "experiment" with stainless paint.
http://purestylehome.blogspot.com/2009/10/stainless-steel-appliance-paint-or-how.html

As a side note, I was chatting with a painter friend of mine and she looked at the instructions on the website and indicated that they probably needed to be followed exactly for this to turn out the way it did in the photos shown.

Reading the comments on Lauren's post I saw another solution for the odd colored, still functioning appliance, bead board...check it out!
http://theoldpaintedcottage.blogspot.com/2009/08/cottage8-behind-scenes.html

In the end, Lauren applied chalkboard paint to her fridge and it is awesome....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...