"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Sneak peak at a paint job I actually did... twice!

Monday, September 23, 2013

Sneak peak at a paint job I actually did... twice!

Years ago (sixteen to be exact) at the Kane County Flea Market I picked up this great storage piece. Taller than your average dresser, it not only has drawers behind one door, but a place for hanging items (small ones) behind the other.

The piece was part of a "quasi" Mid-Century juvenile pair  done up in  blonde wood with decals.
It is safe to say that it was in pretty bad shape when I got it, so I did not feel bad about painting it.

Obviously I was going for the MacKenzie-Childs look...
and apparently my DIY-ADD had not yet kicked in.

The coral color was originally blue and the dresser went in my youngest son's nursery.


The mirror (which belonged to my grandmother) got painted and added later when the dresser moved into my daughter's room and the blue became coral.


Just for fun, here is a trip down Memory Lane, my daughter's room in my Chicago home, circa 2002...


 I know, lots of trendsetting design details in this room...


I painted a lot of hand me downs in that room....
as well as the backs of both bookcases.
Yup, no sign of DIY-ADD yet.



Fast forward a few years and the the time consuming paint job just wasn't doing it for me or for my now teenaged daughter.

So as I originally painstakingly painted, I now painstakingly sanded because I had not considered the paint build up with so much pattern.

I decided that the simpler, the better, so went with a creamy white and bright hardware....


As I told you this is a sneak peek only, so sorry for the tease.

You will have to wait for the One Room Challenge that Linda is hosting beginning next week, Thursday October 3rd.

I am going to play along (officially) this time as a linking participant.

I'll take you on the journey of making over my daughter's room. Not a big, start from scratch makeover, but a smaller, let's make this look like a teenager's room make over.

So remember to tune in here each Thursday for the six weeks following the start on October 3rd.

And be sure to follow along over at Linda's blog, Calling it Home to see what she and the other participants are doing for their One Room Challenge.

This is seriously one of my favorite blog series, I love a good before and after....
how about you?

--------------Cathy--------------

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design?  I would love to work with you to help your room "feel better."  
Contact me for more information about my design services.

5 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

oooh i love the sneak peek! and it is sort of fun to see how our styles evolve!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Thanks for the mention, and I am so glad you will be joining in. Oh, did we have that Mackenzie-ish stuff going on around here, too. At the time, I thought I would never tire of it. That's why paint is the best quick change around.

pam {simple details} said...

That was a good Mackenzie knock-off!! Can't wait to follow along with your room! :)

Unknown said...

My favorite series as well! Love to follow what youre doing with that room. Best of luck on your project!
xo Nancy

Karena said...

Hi Cathy,
I am so excited to follow along with the others!!So much inspiration!!

Xoxo
Karena
Velvet Pumpkins Giveaway

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...