"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Paneling - Yay or Nay?

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Paneling - Yay or Nay?

Many of us who have purchased older homes have been faced with the daunting task of what to do with the rooms cloaked in dated paneling... knotty pine, walnut, rustic cedar and other heinous variations ( think 1/4" plywood my friends) covering the walls of a perfectly good, maybe even great room.  Tear it down in favor of smoothly finished dry-wall?  Leave it up but paint it (who knows how many coats of paint and how much time this would require?) Both alternatives have been done, and in fact, done well, so it is a matter of personal taste, how much one dislikes the paneled room and how deep the old pocketbook is...

When I ran across this photo the other day I stared at it with a strange fascination, something would not register, "a bathroom with paneling?"  And not just any paneling, a bold, grainy dark paneling. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but somehow this has grown on me, it has a modern look because of the character of the wood used as well as the fixtures, yet would fit perfectly in an old home.  Have a good look for yourself.....
Sunset

Do weigh in, Yay you like it?  Or Nay, it's just awful?  Or somewhere in between?

Enjoy your Thursday, our 5" of new snow is supposed to melt over the next couple of days as the thermometer reaches the mid to high 40's, I am saying Yay about that! 


Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me,
I would love to help!

2 comments:

René said...

I like it in the right finish, but I also like it painted. Enjoy the snow. Rain here.

Jenn said...

I really hate wood paneling ... because it usually looks really cheap. But the paneling here is gorgeous! So, now I might have to retract my opinion and say that it depends :). It's hard to dislike something that is quality made and tasteful. Unfortunately, most paneling doesn't fall into either of those categories :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...