"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Spring into Action: reveal!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spring into Action: reveal!

Today your patience has paid off....you get to see my updated curb side chairs in the final installment of "Spring into Action."


The weather did indeed finally cooperate and and lucky me, so did my husband, who helped with the spray painting when my "pointer finger" went numb. (Here he is hard at work in his "yard clothes," remember those acid washed denim jackets?!) Since I am a spray painting novice, I must say it was good to have a second set of eyes on the job, so I was thankful for his assistance.

But you didn't come here for a peek at my hard working hubbie, so here is the progression:

 from straight off the curb

to freshly painted

with this paint (it is an oil rubbed bronze color and I really like the metallic, hammered sheen)
 
to dressed in new cushions, made by moi!
 
On the one perfectly sunny day this week, I attempted to pull my outdoor seating area together for you, but it was lame and my yard is a work in progress, as you can see by the roped off area. Here are a couple  shots, (don't laugh at my "staging") the fully pulled together area will have to wait for another day.





What do you think, how did I do?!!!

Since I do not profess to be a DIY expert, I am not sharing any tutorials, I am usually in too much of a hurry and too impatient to get my projects done for that.
I will however, share a break down on the cost of this project:

Chairs - FREE! a pair found curbside
Spray paint -  4 cans on sale for $2.97 ea = $11.88
Fabric - 2.5 yards @ $13.99/yd purchased with a 50% off coupon = $17.48
Outdoor batting for cushions 2.5 yards @ $19.99/yd, 40% coupon used = $29.98

Grand total: $62.60 including tax

My original idea for this outdoor seating area was to add another pair of Adirondack chairs and the ones I liked best would have set me back about $600. Since I only spent $75 on the existing pair, (Craigslist find) I am just tickled that I was able to pull together some additional seating for just over 10% of the cost of new Adirondacks!

Let's see how my partners in crime, The Undaunted Dozen, did with their projects shall we?

Tiffany - Living Savvy
Cathy (me) - Room Rx 

Many thanks to Linda for getting this party off the ground. If it weren't for her and a bit of peer pressure, my chairs would probably still be sitting in a corner of my garage looking quite forlorn.
Now, when the weather warms up, I'll be sitting in one raising my glass to Linda and The Undaunted Dozen!!!

When is the next challenge Linda?

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me, I would love to help your room feel better with a Room Rx.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that chair and your fabulous cushion! Great job! That seating area looks so inviting, and complete!
I'm going to be looking curbside more!
Nancy
PowellbrowerHome.com

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh it looks awesome! i love the fabric and i just love that style of chair!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Love the cushions and I had NO idea that you could buy outdoor cushion foam.Now I have another project on my list. Hope you enjoy that outdoor space with a little R & R soon.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

Andrea said...

I am impressed! Love the new chair color and the cushions are AWESOME! The pattern is so cheerful and the color makes me happy.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You can really sew. that cushion is a prefect fit. Your styling is just fine...when is happy hour in your yard? I hate to sound like "Mother Hen", you husband needs to wear a mask when spray painting.

pam {simple details} said...

You're a great a DIYer and seamstress! You're going to love those all summer long! Your fabric is one of my favs! Very pretty!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

I would hang out on your patio with you any day! Maybe I could bring over some projects for your husband to spray paint while we have a drink??? You did a great job on these chairs and I'm very impressed with your sewing ability. The cushions are perfect! Great fabric choice too.

A room with a view said...

That sunny chair is perfect on the patio! It is a great piece and you must be thrilled with it. SO glad the weather finally cooperated for you, Cathy! And now you get to enjoy your work!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I am loving the color paint with the yellow cushions! Great job!

Holly Gruszka said...

Those chairs are sweet! What a great find. Love the shape and the fabric that you chose for the cushions. You did a great job with the construction of those cushions too. And how about your hubby making a cameo...so nice of him to help you out. Great job on completing your project Cathy!

Jenn said...

Your chairs look amazing! I LOVE the fabric you chose ... and you did a great job making the covers. Your whole seating area (love Adirondack chairs!) looks so inviting :)

From G2B said...

Wow! That chair is a night and day difference! You really had a vision for it- I mean I have to be honest I probably wold have passed it by on the curb and missed out on this totally awesome chair! Great salvage!
xo Becca

Sarah said...

Congratulations, Cathy!! On getting her done and getting her done beautifully!! The chairs are like night and day. Looove that fabric!! The patio looks so cheery, such a great spot for sitting in the sun. Loved the pic of your husband here, and the denim jacket too:)

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

NO WAY does this chair look like you could have possibly found it on the curb. WOW. Great job. Love the color you painted it and love love love the cushions!

Annie Vincent Interiors said...

Just beautiful!! I love the pair together. And who can resist the trellis, I know I can't!

Annie
House on Rene

Sam | Away She Went said...

The chairs look great painted and I absolutely love the fabric! You did a great job sewing them! Yay for challenges finally getting us to paint furniture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...