"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: A new roof and a question???

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A new roof and a question???

We got a new roof yesterday...woo hoo!  After a storm last September pelted golf ball sized hail, havoc was wreaked upon our neighborhood and nearly all of the homes on my street have gotten new roofs and some, new siding.  A new roof is one of those things like a new water heater, expensive, necessary but not particularly exciting, especially when the color is the same and the net effect is zero.  So why am I posting about this?  Well, first, it is the reality of being a home owner, not everything we spend our hard earned cash on (in this case, insurance company cash) is thrilling.  Second, I am still in awe of the team that showed up to do the work.  At 6:45 AM yesterday about 20 roofers arrived and began to unload materials, tools and ladders. By 7 AM work was in full swing for our tear-off.

By 7:30, this was the scene... there are 12 guys on the roof in this photo!

 The buzz of activity, the repetitive pounding of many hammers had the house shaking (literally, I had to straighten many of the things hanging on the walls afterward). I have never witnessed such efficiency, organization and hard work.  Our project was largely complete by 4 PM! I swear I felt like I was on the set of Extreme Home Makeover: Roof Edition the way these guys worked, they swooped in, hit it hard and left us with a new roof and a yard that was probably cleaner than before they started.


I must say I'm glad we waited 6 1/2 months to have our work done, The night before our new roof went on, we had another big hail storm.  Furthermore, did you know it's best to shingle when the temps are warmer and the sun can work it's magic on the materials? (Fun facts to know and tell!) So a little plug for this crew, if you live in or around Madison, WI I highly recommend this company, Rodriguez Quality Roofing, They really do a terrific, very efficient job and the owner Ramiro is quite gracious.

So, now for my question....I previously shared about getting a new front door, and while I love it, I think I let the pendulum swing in the wrong color direction and I am not loving the pewter color we chose.....boring....

Even those of us who help others in matters of design, get stuck themselves every once in a while so I fiddled with Sherwin William's Color Visualizer, (which is a very cool tool, too bad I can't figure out how to share my work here).  Suffice it to say after experimenting with greens, golds and reds from burgundy to rust in order to give a pop of color, I think we are going to go with this
SW7585 Sundried Tomato:
I would love to hear what you think... do you like it? If not, what would you do?

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me,
I would love to help!



2 comments:

Brigid Skoog said...

You know how I love a red door (cf our house on Byron) and I think this color would be great with your brick. But that's just me. LOVE the roof photos--I can just hear the cartoon assembly line music going in the background!

Karen S said...

I'm the one who has to look at it the most (grin) and I really like the red.

It was a pretty amazing job those guys did yesterday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...