"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Room Rx: shifting a dining room to a library

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Room Rx: shifting a dining room to a library

The start of 2014 has had me lucky to be busy with some great new clients and fun projects.  That means that this little blog has not had my full attention....
In order to remedy that, today I thought I would share my plans for one of those projects.  

I love when a client is not constrained to use a room as it was intended but rather as it makes sense for their lifestyle. Such is the case with this project in which what the family really needed was not a formal dining room, but a room that could function as a library and study room for the family's 3 children. My client was already moving in that direction when I was called in to help.





I was asked to design a room that incorporated a built-in work area as well as a sitting area. Knowing that the family might not live in their home forever and that the next buyer might want a formal dining room, I planned a built in that could easily work in a dining room as well, allowing for use of a dining table and chairs.


My plan includes a large rug to cover the hardwood floors and add some warmth to the space and pair of chairs that will sit in front of the 2 windows and share a table, ottoman and lamp.


The built in will have 2 work areas which down the road can be used for serving, with the space underneath housing wine storage or even a wine fridge.


We chose to keep the wall color as it works well with the rest of the color scheme in this home.
My client requested incorporating an animal print, and I suggested using pieces that were flexible and could be used anywhere in her home.
In this plan the pop comes from the vintage poster as well as a lovely rug.
A mix of textures from the rattan chairs to the leather pouf and mercury glass lamp keep things interesting.


Since my job was to plan the space and share ideas for how it would look in the end, with my client doing the purchasing, I gave her a couple of additional looks using different products.



I am excited to say that the built-ins are being constructed and a pair of chairs has been purchased. A ceiling light fixture has been chosen and as for the rest, it's still in the works. 
My client has terrific taste and I can't wait to see this space come together and put to use!


--------------Cathy--------------

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design?  I would love to work with you to help your room "feel better."  
Contact me for more information about my design services.

5 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

love this idea! it's all about making your home work for you!

pam {simple details} said...

What an impressive job with the built-ins and designing with the future sale in mind, they owe you a commission when it sells, too!! Can't wait to see what your client chose, they're all beautiful!

Holly Gruszka said...

Your drawings always knock my socks off and I can't wait to see them come to life. I have to say I was really hoping you were going to be changing up the wall color, but I'm also excited to see how it's going to work with the new look. And nice options for your client to work with the various looks too.

Bali Hut Super Store said...

Simply creative! I love your plan and it’s obviously beautiful as the result of the hard work. As you are suggesting the products to fit on the wall color, I may not be an expert yet I love both. I’m staying tuned to see the whole result. Cool!

Sebastian Chuter

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

This is a dream space for me - I would love a room like this in my house! I love that you pulled together the design and gave your client options to choose from. Beautiful boards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...