"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: One Room Challenge: textiles & a faux roman shade DIY

Thursday, April 10, 2014

One Room Challenge: textiles & a faux roman shade DIY

Wow!  That's all I am going to say.... I am so impressed by all of the ORC linking participants, all 85 of them!  People, I ain't got time for that! No really, honestly, I am still checking out all of the links...
 Linda at Calling it Home has really made this into quite the party hasn't she?

So if you are visiting Room Rx for the first time, welcome and thanks for stopping by.....
If you want to start at the beginning, please do.

Otherwise the scoop is my CSIL and I are working together to create a

Moody Blue Master Bedroom

using this design plan:

in this space:

Now let's get on to this week's happenings shall we?
Since the family rug was the inspiration for this Moody Master, the first thing that Therese and I tackled in executing our vision was to select fabrics for the room's soft furnishings. Back in January we made a trip to Haberman's Fabrics in Royal Oak, MI while visiting Detroit, and began our search for the perfect textiles......

We spotted what we thought could be an ideal remnant for our starting point, the camel colored geometric on the left below


and began to play around with other fabrics.

We narrowed things down to a couple of schemes




and ultimately chose the first one we put together, we really liked the pop of red.


Fabrics got ordered and Therese got moving on the sewing, because of course she is good at that and very quick to get things done!

Then we got hung up..... we had ordered one fabric for the Faux Roman shades and they got made and installed, but then we started to second guess our choice....
You'll have to wait until the reveal to see which one we ended up using!

Don't feel bad though, because Therese is not only a great sister in law and a wonderful seamstress, she wanted to share her "How To" for you so you can make your own Faux Roman Shades! 

This How to video  tells you everything you need to know. 
Combine that with Therese's tips below and you are golden.






 Things are moving along in the room now that the fabrics have been chosen.

Next up:
Paint
Update the nightstands and dressers
Lighting
Reading chair
Artwork & Accessories

And seriously, even though there are 85 participants, do take a little bit of time and check out some of the fabulous projects being done by the ORC Linking Participants!





--------------Cathy--------------

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design?  I would love to work with you to help your room "feel better."  
Contact me for more information about my design services.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous collection of fabrics! Where was that tutorial when I was sweating out the trial and error in an ORC a while back. So easy to follow and perfectly stated..Good luck Cathy, looking great.xo Nancy

aquahaus said...

Great textiles and thanks for the awesome tutorial! Can't wait to see what you chose.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Aww, thanks girl. Boy, have we known each other for a long time. I love the faux Roman...so smart. Looking good.

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

How lucky are you to have a sister-in-law that is such an amazing sewer! Love the fabrics that you're going with and appreciate the tutorial!

kate@willowinteriors said...

Love all the fabric choices! And great info on the faux romans!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Great tutorial. I love that navy fabric too!

Unknown said...

Fabulous fabric collection and I'm excited to see the navy walls come into play!

Tiffany said...

A faux roman. What a great idea. I'm going to have to try that.

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the fabric choices and colors!!!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Hi Cathy! I adore this plan. I would love to use those colors in my own home, they are so gorgeous. I'm dying to see the walls, too!!

Sarah said...

I wanna go fabric shopping with you guys!!! Sounds like so much fun! You got some beautiful patterns. Now I am so intrigued about which one you decided to go with for the roman shades!! I think I like the navy and white ikat stripe...uh oh, what if I'm wrong?! The suspense is killing me:)

pam {simple details} said...

I knew we could count on you two for a gorgeous combination of fabrics!! Wow, what a great tutorial, you make it look awfully easy! Looking forward to next week!

Tricia said...

I love both choices for the roman shade. I did a roman shade for my ORC in the fall. I did a real one that meant a lot of wasted beautiful fabric. The faux is a much better idea! And I soooo need a Therese in my life - lucky girl! Can't wait for your reveal!!
Tricia // Suburban Bitches

Linda @ a design snack said...

Great fabrics! Thanks so much for the ring tip...I'll never hand sew another one again!

Factory Direct Gazebo said...

As always, you have wonderful ideas here Cathy! I love all the fabric choices and even I cannot decide what to choose. My wife will surely captivate how these steps are going. Exquisite fabrics!

Sebastian Chuter

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...