"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Room Rx: Ugly Room Contest

Monday, February 21, 2011

Room Rx: Ugly Room Contest

It was eons ago that I mentioned here about being asked by a local retailer to be the designer for their "Ugly Room Contest."  The winner was chosen a while back and completed all of the steps needed for a Room Rx and submitted them to me.  This homeowner was on a tight budget and had a few elements that needed to be worked around, but was open to DIY projects and had a $500 gift card to use at Home Concepts, the store that sponsored the contest, as well as some rewards $$ from her credit card. I was able work my magic and came up with a solution for her Master Bedroom which I presented just the other day.

Before:

The goals for this room were:
1) Seating for reading and watching the home's only TV
2) Storage (books, clothing,etc.)
3) Working around the fairly new green carpeting that the previous homeowner had recently installed
4) Media storage
5) Re using as many existing pieces of furniture as possible
6) Creating a relaxing, restful haven

Inspired by this canvas artwork from Pier 1 (on sale, woo hoo!) and a couple of chairs and lamps from Home Concepts, the colors of the beach and seaglass fell into place...
Seaglass Serenity

My intent in pulling together this room was to find a color scheme that allowed the green carpet to play a supporting role, not the lead. By using lots of naturals (bed upholstery fabric, linens, chairs, window treatments & bench,) adding accent fabrics that tie in to the seaglass color scheme and painting the walls a pale blue green, the carpet will appear toned down.  Though not in the budget at this time, an 8' x 10" area rug placed over the carpet and under the foot of the bed would also help.

There will be lots of DIY projects for this Rx, an existing chest will be painted cream, nightstands a deeper shade of the blue, store bought window panels will get customized with accent fabric, pillows will be sewn and most exciting of all, the upholstered bed, inspired by this tutorial.  I think I hit the mark, my client was excited and has already started to pull together the pieces for her master bedroom makeover.  I am thrilled and love to see a client feel empowered to transform a room. Stay tuned and I'll keep you up to date as the changes take place....

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me,
I would love to help!


1 comment:

SHERRY HART said...

OK...can not wait to see these afters!!! I guess when you live in a snowy area...you don't feel guilty about staying home and getting things done :) Love the color board.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...