"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: This is it for now.... and a Room Rx

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

This is it for now.... and a Room Rx

Hi there! It's been a while, I know, over a year. Even though I haven't been blogging, I have been busy with Cathy Wall Designs LLC projects as well as getting a few things freshened up in my own home. After my hiatus, I have decided that I will no longer be blogging. As much as I have loved the camaraderie, the sharing and the feedback, I found that properly done, keeping up with the blog was too time consuming and was feeling the effort zapping my creativity for my Cathy Wall Designs LLC work. 

Over the years, this blog has been a great means of showcasing my work, ideas and thoughts on design related things and so I will keep it as a reference for current and future clients and friends. I would love to stay in touch with all of you so going forward, the best way to stay current and see what I am up to is to follow me on Houzz, or Facebook, or Instagram or Pinterest

Now, for the promised Room Rx, my son's bedroom. His room was done when we moved into our home 9 years ago and was not only looking a bit tired, but did not suit an almost 17 year old. Since he was away for the spring semester at Conserve School, the time was right to get the job done and surprise him for his homecoming.

The project began with zero budget except for a couple of cans of paint for the walls and ceiling. My idea was to use up all of the "stuff" lurking around my house, like the plaid throw, (my inspiration) some old lamps, a stool and a few cans of left over paint.


 I can't say I did not buy a thing though as I found a pair of Nate Berkus curtains on sale at Target for $15 which became the box spring cover, euro sham and seat cushion for the desk chair. I also needed a new duvet cover so when I saw this one from Ikea, I grabbed it. While at Ikea I found these rugs and bought 4 which later became the valence and the stool cover.


I cut up the rugs and hand stitched them together for the valence. It took forever and my hand hurt like heck when I was done, but for about $12 I am pleased with the result.

The chair was a purchase from several years ago which had been waiting for a make-over. I tried doing it on the super cheap by researching and attempting to "paint" the upholstery. I even posted my efforts on Instagram. It was an epic fail. Despite watering down the paint and using fabric  medium, the cushions were stiff and rough as sandpaper, not good for a comfy reading chair.

So I bit the bullet and had it re-upholstered. I love it.
(the lampshade was sprayed with chalkboard paint and I added the design with chalk)

A thrift store oil painting, a favorite saying and a wash of paint became a hip piece of art.
A tea towel and a zigzag embroidery stitch made for a good looking lumbar pillow. And no... not one zipper was put in any pillow I sewed. Envelope closures all the way for this DIY-ADD girl.

Here is where it all began....

My son was thrilled with the changes and spends lots of time studying and hanging out in his room. And I might add that it hasn't looked this good since these photos were taken 
(props to Katie Wall Photography for them.)  Ahhhhhh, teenagers!


Thank you for all of your support over the past few years my friends!!!!


--------------Cathy--------------

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design?  I would love to work with you to help your room "feel better."  
Contact me for more information about my design services.

2 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

looks great! most definitely a teenage/young adult room now. love that you kept and repainted that interesting shelf above the desk.
b

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love this space- the rug valance is awesome!
i totally understand how you feel and wish you all the best and will still be following on instagram!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...