"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Doilies

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Doilies

My grandmother, "Gim" and great grandmother, "Gangi" LOVED to crochet. Both of them had crocheted doilies adorning tabletops, dressers and even their beds (in the form of crocheted bedspreads.)  A tiny bit of research tells me that this was a popular past time (not that I needed research to tell me that based on the number of doilies I now own,) that really began in earnest in the late 1800's for the more well to do ladies, and seemed to expand to women of varying means and peak in the 30's and 40's.

I have had a box of doilies and my grandmother's bedspread tucked away for ever, never sure how to use them in a less fussy, more contemporary way.  A while back I saw these photos on Design Sponge and tucked them away for inspiration....

newly wed diaries

I just love how modern and graphic these two displays are and have been ruminating about where to do this in my home.....I finally figured it out. I mentioned here about the wall in my family room, which has been largely unadorned  for as long as we have lived in this house.  Since I already have the doilies and several frames, this is a cost effective solution, so my plans for the week-end include pulling it all together and getting them hung. Now that I have put it out there to you all, I NEED to do it and not be side tracked by my "personal decorating ADD."  Wish me luck...!!!

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me,
I would love to help!

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

Can't wait to see it. I have doilies made by my great grandmother and my grandmother and i have been wanting to do something too. So come on, do it and inspire me!!

René said...

Can't wait to see what you do. Eddie Ross had a project with doilies if I recall correctly. Can't remember the specifics.

Karen S said...

This is a nice way to make those old doilies look really contemporary. I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

SHERRY HART said...

WOW...I love that first picture...so cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...