"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Fresh Fabrics Friday: Marimekko's Unikko

Friday, May 27, 2011

Fresh Fabrics Friday: Marimekko's Unikko

As newlyweds, my parents lived for 3 years in Germany while my Dad served in the Army. They were fortunate to be able to do a bit of travel through Eurpoe and as well, to purchase many inexpensive, beautiful pieces of Danish Modern furniture for their home.  I assume that because I grew up in a home furnished in this style, that my love of Mid Century Modern germinated there.  Marimekko, a Finnish producer born of that period, has fabric designs that have always appealed to me, and Unikko is truly a recognizable classic.

I love this tid-bit I found about the pattern on Marimekko's website: "Maija Isola’s classic pattern was born in 1964 shortly after Armi Ratia had announced that Marimekko would never print a floral pattern. Maija paid no heed to Armi’s decree and designed an entire collection of floral patterns in protest. One of them was Unikko, a true icon of the future."

A bold, large scaled, playful pattern, the ubiquitous Unikko is available in 16 colorways, is a 100% cotton fabric  and can be found for as little as $39 per yard. 

Textile Arts

So how to use this spirited pattern to inject a little fun in your decor?  Cover a pendant shade with it...
Switched on Set

Be the life of the party in a dress made from Unikko!

The scale of the floral pattern makes it perfect for  use as a wall hanging
or as a grouping of them.

Slipcover a basic piece of Ikea upholstery and give it a bold new look with this fabulous product from Bemz.


Then there are always aprons, potholders, napkins and table runners....


Unikko would be a fun pattern to incorporate into an outdoor space, but really the possibilities are limitless, so if it is for you, have some fun!

I hope your plans for the week-end include lots of good times with family and friends.  Mine include a few kid's baseball games, some canoeing and a barbecue, I'm looking forward to it!

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design
If so please contact me, I would love to help your room feel better!

Today I am linking up to Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday with my post about my TWBIL

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...