"". content='3d4620b7bc91f474c9424106dd2800b5' name='p:domain_verify'/> Room RX: Fresh Fabrics Friday: Cozy up the guestroom

Friday, January 11, 2013

Fresh Fabrics Friday: Cozy up the guestroom

Hopefully you are not tired of me sharing tidbits about my CSIL's new home, recently I have posted  about it here, here and here. I have also told you what a fabulous seamstress she is, so it should come as no surprise that with a little encouragement from and collaboration with me, she pulls off another amazing transformation, aided by the power of fabric and paint, two of my favorite decorating tools! 

This is the listing photo of the guestroom (which doubles as a college aged son's bedroom when he is in town) in her darling Cape Cod home:


Same room with the newly purchased Ikea Hemnes bed and Emmie Ruta  duvet cover, and a rug and table (egg shell mosaic done by Therese) already owned:

The first go round with fabrics:

The final fabric selection all whipped up into pillows:


How about the details on these pillows? Cording, buttons, ric-rac, pattern matching, etc. all touches that make a huge impact and which are not usually found on store bought pillows.


One day I get the photos above of the finished pillows along with the question "What do I do with the wall behind the bed?" We had discussed creating an accent wall and many ideas were bandied about through conversation and Pinterest. My answer? "Let me ponder it further."  The next day I get this photo:

Love it! Spot on idea to paint out the empty frames blue to lend a bit of pattern to the chocolate painted wall. Overall, the combination of colors, the mix of patterns and all of the little details make this a cozy little guest room. Therese is a pro in the Roman shade sewing department, isn't the shade she fashioned for this room gorgeous? My CSIL definitely does not have DIY-ADD like I do, she gets an idea and runs with it! This whole project (pillows, window shade and accent wall) was finished over her Holiday break.
The last thing she'll add in the space is a pair of swing arm wall sconces, then it is ready for guests (me!).

When you get motivated to do a project, are you able to crank it out like my CSIL or are you more like me, "slow out of the box?" 

I need to run, I have to go finish a pillow I started 3 weeks ago......
Have a great week-end!!!

Does your room need a “prescription” for a change of decor, function or design? If so please contact me, I would love to help your room feel better with a Room Rx.






10 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

love it! the dark accent wall really completes it!

Holly Gruszka said...

!!!! That is incredible. Can she sew me a Roman shade and some pillows that I need? I would love to be that handy with the machine. It looks fantastic. That first photo and the last photo - now THAT is a great before and after. It looks really really nice. And I love the ikat that she also used to trim out the shade. Way to go CSIL!!!

Mrs BC said...

Wow, she is a fast worker! I am super slow out of the box, although I do have monkey wrangling to contend with.
Great result!
x

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Get your camera over to that roman shade. I need to know more about it. The room looks great and I'm sure the college kid didn't even notice.

pam {simple details} said...

She certainly has an eye for style, and details! The swing arm lamps will be icing on the cake! I agree with Linda, can we have a roman shade tutorial, please! :)

Art and Sand said...

I thought the changes were great and then you showed the dark wall. It just finished the whole room off.

charmaine said...

It looks great! And yes, roman shade tutorial please!

Jenn said...

Wow, this is fantastic! I'm so impressed by how fast she gets things done!!

By the way, what is the ikat fabric? It's gorgeous!

Sarah said...

Fabulous, Cathy!! She made all those pillows?! I swoon. Love!!! That is serious talent. I really like that Hemnes bed too...I love our Hemnes dresser, but I didn't know Ikea had that in the line. That dark accent wall makes everything pop!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic! Love the pillows and roman shades! What a difference those little touches make. I am slow to start a project but when I start it I finish it quickly ( usually).
Have a great weekend.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...